How to Cook Egusi Soup – A Delicious and Nutritious Meal for Everyday Women
Egusi soup is a delicious and nutritious Nigerian dish that is popular among women. This soup is made from ground melon seeds and a variety of spices and vegetables. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also packed with nutrients that are essential for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to cook egusi soup step-by-step, so you can enjoy this delicious dish in the comfort of your own home.
How to Cook Egusi Soup
- 2 cups of ground egusi (melon) seeds
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 scotch bonnet peppers, chopped
- 2 cups of chopped spinach or pumpkin leaves
- 2 tablespoons of ground crayfish
- 1-2 smoked fish (optional)
- 1-2 lbs of meat (chicken, beef, or goat)
- 2 cups of stock or water
- 1-2 cubes of maggi or knorr seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Palm oil
- Wash and cut your meat into small pieces. Season with salt and maggi or knorr seasoning, and set aside.
- In a pot, heat up some palm oil and fry your diced onions until they become translucent.
- Add your seasoned meat to the pot and fry until it’s browned on all sides.
- Add the ground egusi seeds to the pot and stir until it’s well combined with the meat and onions. Fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped scotch bonnet peppers and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add your chopped spinach or pumpkin leaves and stir until they’re well combined with the egusi mixture.
- Add your ground crayfish and smoked fish (if using), and stir to combine.
- Pour in your stock or water, and stir to combine all the ingredients. If the mixture is too thick, you can add more water or stock to achieve the desired consistency.
- Cover the pot and let the soup simmer on low heat for about 15-20 minutes, or until the egusi seeds are fully cooked and the soup has thickened.
- Serve hot with your favorite side dish, such as pounded yam, fufu, or rice.
Egusi soup is a delicious and nutritious dish that every woman should learn how to cook. With this step-by-step guide, you’ll be able to make this amazing soup in no time. Whether you’re a busy mom, a working professional, or just someone who loves to cook, this recipe is perfect for you. So go ahead and try it out, and enjoy the delicious taste of egusi soup today!